Women in Media Australia is extremely proud to announce that we have teamed up with the Google News Initiative [GNI] to launch a unique and exclusive program called the Relaunch Project.
The program is aimed at equipping and up-skilling women in journalism returning to the news media workforce after taking time out of their careers.
The Relaunch Project will invite a select group of women to participate in a program tailored specifically to their needs as they re-enter the workplace.
Successful candidates will receive:
- 10 specialised and intensive virtual workshops over six months focusing on leadership, media industry directions, new technologies and work/life balance;
- One-on-one mentoring with an industry professional; and
- A ticket to our Women in Media National Conference in 2022 [if COVID-19 allows] where you will benefit from two days of hearing from industry leaders, participating in workshops, and taking advantage of valuable networking opportunities.
Women in Media co-chair Cath Webber said WiM was “so excited to be working with the Google News Initiative on this inspirational program”.
“Women have been deeply and disproportionately affected by the COVID-19 pandemic,” she said.
“By working with GNI on the Relaunch Project, we are proud that we can play a part in helping provide media women in Australia with an empowered future.”
Women in Media co-chair Kathy McLeish added: “We know it can be daunting to return to work after having time out with children, and we’re delighted that we can offer this program to support media women in making a confident and successful shift back to the workplace.”
The Director of APAC News Partnerships at Google, Kate Beddoe, welcomed the program.
“One of the global goals of the Google News Initiative is to support diversity, equity and inclusion in the news industry,” she said.
“And we’re grateful for the opportunity to work with Women in Media to help create a more inclusive environment for people working their way back into the workforce after caring for others.
“By helping carers to relaunch their careers through training and mentorships, this program will also contribute to a more diverse workforce in the media.”
The Google News Initiative is a concerted effort to work with the media industry to help journalism thrive in the digital age.
Apply to participate in the Relaunch Project
Apply to lead the Relaunch Project
Do you love taking ownership of a project and seeing it through to overall success? This is an opportunity for a self-starter with a background in journalism and media to help build a unique program launched by Women in Media Australia and the Google News Initiative [GNI].
The Relaunch Project, sponsored by GNI, is an exciting new program aimed at upskilling women in the field of journalism who are planning to return to the workforce.
The successful applicant will oversee the development and rollout of a course of workshops run in conjunction with GNI. With the support of senior industry professionals, you will build the program and support the participants through to the successful completion of their program.
- Role for a contractor paid by the hour
- $50 per hour
- Maximum of eight hours per week
- 12 month agreement
- Attention to detail
- Strong organisational skills
- Comfortable speaking to large groups of people
- Have at least 10 years’ real world experience in the media industry
- Have some experience relevant to the life events the candidates are experiencing
- Excellent record keeping skills
- Basic financial knowledge
- Comfortable working independently and as part of a team
RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE ROLE
- Take ownership for the program and set it up for sustained success
- Oversee and support the application and selection process
- Set up online forms for applications with the assistance of the WiM digital team
- Create and instil clear processes for the program moving forward
- Host candidates and mentors at the conference and coordinate pre-conference registration
- Work with project partners to confirm program and speakers
- Work with mentoring and the return to work specialists to build the program
- Engage speakers directly as required
- Schedule and facilitate sessions
- Manage the budget and track costs
- Be the main point of contact for candidates, mentors, and project partners
- Engage candidates throughout the process and ensure they have all the information required for each session including automated reminders, attend the sessions to ensure no technical difficulties arise, issue follow up emails with key session learnings and session recordings, host an online chat space for candidates to connect, continue to connect with candidates outside of the six month intensive program
- Use online and cloud based professional platforms including Zoom, Google Drive, Microsoft Office and Canva to create content
- Create and document processes, save and file all relevant documents for future reference
- Issue pre and post conference surveys and provide an impact report of outcomes
HOW TO APPLY